12 Sickened by Fumes at Everett College

Fumes in a building at Everett’s Everest College sickened 12 people Wednesday morning, Everett Fire officials said.

Firefighters and hazardous materials teams got the call just before 10 a.m. that people were complaining of headaches and nausea inside the college building at 906 S.E. Everett Mall Way, said Eric Hicks with the Everett Fire Department.

Ten of those affected were taken to a hospital. About 200 were evacuated from the building.

An industrial hygenist swept the building Wednesday afternoon and found an uptick of ethol alcohol, which was within safety limits, in one of the medical training labs, the building manager said. But firefighters and people inside didn’t know what they were dealing with when people started falling ill.

The school has a dental class, but there is no lab that would have gases or hazardous materials. The school was closed for the remainder of the day.

The building manager said the industrial hygenist cleared the building and didn’t find any problems. The building is being ventilated and is expected to reopen this morning.

People injured due to the negligent upkeep of public or private institutions may be entitled to recovery for their injuries. In many situations where there is a release of poisonous fumes, there is negligence at play.

For more information see http://www.seattlepi.com/local/komo/article/Fumes-make-dozen-people-sick-at-Everett-college-3509723.php#ixzz1tA6osYKe and http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/ten-sickened-fumes-everest-college-everett/nMhh7/