Reading lamp caused fatal Edmonds fire

A smoky fire that killed an Edmonds apartment resident was caused by a reading lamp falling onto bedding.

Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes says a clamp came loose and the light fell on the bed.

Neighbors who saw smoke reported the fire Monday night. Firefighters put out a small fire and found the victim already deceased.

Hynes says damage is estimated at $50,000 to the one unit. Other residents in the six-unit building were able to return to their apartments.

Where defective products result in injury or death, victims and their families are generally entitled to recover from the manufacturer, distributor and other entities involved with the product. In circumstances like the story detailed above, it is a good idea to have an experienced lawyer investigate whether a defective product was to blame for the tragedy. Based on the above story, it is possible that the lamp that caused the fire was defective in that it had a defective clamp or got dangerously hot in order to start the fire, either of which would be a basis for recovery.

Contact Information