A three-alarm fire in Laurelhurst destroyed one home, damaged five others and injured three people Monday afternoon, after a furnace exploded in a house under construction.
Investigators have determined that the fire started after paint fumes ignited when a furnace was turned on. The house under construction, which belonged to Adam Selipsky, the vice president of product management at Amazon.com, was a complete loss. Three homes on Northeast Latimer Place had roof fires. A fourth home had siding damage. A home south of the fire site also suffered serious damage.
A construction worker suffered serious facial burns and was taken to Harborview Medical Center. Two firefighters were also treated for heat exhaustion.